Puppy chow (or muddy buddies) is a pretty awesome dessert made by covering Chex cereal in chocolate, butter, and peanut butter, and then powdered sugar. They are stupidly easy to make and so addictive! The original recipe is delicious, but this version starts with Chocolate Chex instead of plain Chex, has more chocolate (obviously), and cocoa powder mixed in with the powdered sugar. Of course, I also brought back the Dark Chocolate M&Ms for an added crunch. This isn’t the prettiest dessert ever, but it won’t matter when you realize you have eaten it all before anyone else even gets to see it.
When I made these cookies, my gluten-sensitive husband was jealous. I promised him I would make something equally as chocolatey and indulgent just for him, then I saw this Chocolate Chex at the supermarket. Perfect! This was even more perfect because it’s still really hot here in Southern California, and I just didn’t feel like turning on the oven.
This is one of the easiest desserts to make. You melt the chocolate, butter, and peanut butter together in the microwave before pouring the mixture over the cereal.
You then pour the coated cereal and powdered sugar in a gallon zip-lock type bag and shake it up! I usually let it dry on wax paper before storing it so you don’t get huge clumps when it dries.
I got these super cute kitty bowls (actually, they are measuring cups!) as a gift from a friend (Thanks, Olivia!) a couple of Christmases ago. Maybe I should have renamed this kitty chow.
- 8 1/4 cups Chocolate Chex cereal (one 12.8 oz box)
- 1 1/2 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips or baking chocolate (9 oz)
- 1/4 cup (1/2 stick) unsalted butter
- 1/2 cup creamy peanut butter (128 g)
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/8 tsp kosher salt
- 1 1/2 cup powdered sugar (180 g)
- 2 tbsp cocoa powder (10 g)
- 1 cup Dark Chocolate M&Ms
- Measure out cereal and pour into large bowl. In another bowl, sift or whisk together powdered sugar and cocoa powder. Set aside.
- In medium bowl, microwave chocolate, butter, and peanut butter for one minute on high. Stir. Continue to microwave in 30 second increments, stirring each time, until smooth. Stir in vanilla extract and salt.
- Pour mixture onto cereal and gently stir until coated evenly. Pour into gallon Ziploc-style bag and add powdered sugar mixture. Seal bag and shake until evenly coated. Spread mixture out on wax paper to cool and dry. Once dry, pour cereal in storage container and gently fold in M&Ms.
- Note: if you use salted butter instead of unsalted, just omit the kosher salt.