These potato skins are packed full of flavor and still manage to be pretty healthy. They combine lots of ingredients you would expect to find in a taco with the heavenly warmth of baked sweet potatoes. The tomatoes with green chiles and salsa verde really pack a tasty punch. Also, anything I’m allowed to top with sour cream and cheese is okay by me. After just a few bites in, they were already becoming one of my favorite weeknight meals!
These start out with baked sweet potatoes and some ground chicken (or turkey or beef, if you like). While the sweet potatoes were in the oven, I prepped the rest of the ingredients.
I made an easy taco seasoning for this meal, but you can also just use a pre-made taco packet if you happen to have one on hand already and want to save a bit of time.
Once the meat is done, you just add all of the remaining ingredients except half the cheese and stir it up. It kind of looks gross…there’s no getting around it..so I’ll just show you what it looks like covered up in cheese.
I used Mexican shredded cheese blend for these potatoes since I was feeling lazy, but you could also use cheddar, colby/monterey jack or pepper jack or whatever you feel like.
They look so much tastier baked and smothered with more salsa and sour cream (so much for these being on the healthier side, I guess)! I served them with these chili garlic roasted veggies but a nice salad with olive oil, vinegar, lime juice would be good too.
- 5 large sweet potatoes
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 yellow onion, diced
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 lb ground chicken
- 1 tbsp + 1 tsp chili powder
- 2 tsp cumin
- 1/4 tsp paprika
- 1/8 tsp ground cayenne pepper
- 1/4 tsp dried oregano
- 1/8 tsp onion powder
- 1/8 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp kosher salt
- 1/4 tsp ground black pepper
- 1/4 cup water
- 2 cups cheese (cheddar, pepperjack, Mexican blend, etc), shredded
- 3/4 cup salsa verde
- 1 can (10 oz) Rotel diced tomatoes, drained
- 1 cup frozen corn, thawed
- Additional salt and pepper, to taste
- Preheat oven to 350°F and line baking sheet with foil. Bake sweet potatoes for 75 minutes or until easily pierced with fork. Remove and let cool enough to be handled.
- Once potatoes are cool enough, cut in half and scoop out most of the flesh into a large bowl.
- Preheat oven to 375°F. In a large skillet over medium heat, add olive oil and onions, and sauté 5 minutes. Add garlic and sauté 2 more minutes. Add ground chicken and cook until no longer pink. Add all spices and water. Continue cooking until mixture thickens and most of the water has evaporated.
- Add chicken, salsa, tomatoes, corn and one cup of cheese to sweet potato mixture and stir to combine. Taste mixture and add additional salt if desired.
- Scoop mixture into potato skins and top with remaining cup of cheese.
- Bake for 15 minutes or until potatoes are heated through.
- Top with sour cream, cilantro, avocado, additional salsa, or any other toppings you desire.