This chicken is heavenly. It’s somehow both rich and light and full of flavor. My husband said that this chicken made him “reevaluate his life”. I’m not entirely sure what he meant, but I’m 99% sure it was a good thing. Crispy brown skin, tons of lemony juice, and tenderly moist meat make this one of my favorite (and super easy) weeknight meals.
Two lemony recipes in a row, please forgive me! At least this one is savory. I have an excuse though. My parents have a beautiful lemon tree in their backyard and I walked away from their house a few weeks ago with an armful of the biggest, juiciest lemons I have ever encountered. They looked lovely in my kitchen island bowl, but they looked lovelier in this dinner. If you don’t like lemon (this recipe has lemon zest and lemon juice aplenty), turn back now!
This chicken is pretty simple (it’s also dairy-free, gluten-free, and paleo if you care about those things), and I bet you already have most of the ingredients in your pantry.
You make a simple marinade with lemon zest, lemon juice, dried thyme and rosemary, some garlic, and salt and pepper.
After a light brushing with olive oil and about an hour in the oven, you get these! I served this chicken with a quick roasted asparagus, but I have also made it with some simple sauteed spinach.
- 4- 5 pounds bone-in, skin-on, chicken thighs (this was about 9 large thighs)
- 3 Tbsp lemon zest (zest of 2 large lemons)
- 1/2 cup lemon juice (juice of 2 large lemons)
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 1/2 tsp dried thyme leaves
- 1 1/2 tsp dried rosemary leaves
- 1 1/2 tsp kosher salt
- 1 tsp freshly ground black pepper
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- Lemon slices for garnish (optional)
- Place lemon juice, lemon zest, garlic, thyme, rosemary, salt, and pepper in a small bowl, and stir until combined. Make a few small slices deep into each chicken thigh and place thighs into a gallon-sized plastic storage bag. Shake and turn the bag so that the thighs are coated in the marinade. Let the chicken marinate in the refrigerator for at least an hour.
- Preheat oven to 425°F. Place chicken in one or two large casserole dishes with the skin facing up. Pour remaining marinade over chicken evenly.
- Brush olive oil over each piece of chicken and bake for 50-60 minutes (or until internal temperature is 165°F), depending on the size of your chicken thighs.
- Cover with foil and let rest for 10 minutes.
- Once the chicken is done, I skim off the thin layer of fat from the juices before spooning the juices onto the thighs.