Crockpot (I know crockpot is a brand, but ‘slow cooker’ chicken just doesn’t have the same ring to it!) meals usually are not the prettiest. But if you need an easy, healthy, flavorful weeknight meal, this chicken fits the bill. It’s also likely you already have all of the ingredients needed for this recipe already in your kitchen. Balsamic vinegar, lots of herbs, sliced onions, and juicy diced tomatoes cook together for hours to infuse this shredded chicken with lots of flavor–you can eat it on its own, spoon it over rice or pasta or a salad, or make it into wraps.
I often use this chicken in wraps with these balsamic roasted vegetables, some herbed goat cheese, a spoonful of pesto and a drizzle of balsamic vinegar reduction. You won’t be disappointed to have one of those wraps for lunch this week. If we are trying to be a bit healthier, this chicken also works perfectly atop a simple salad dressed with balsamic vinegar and olive oil.
The chicken takes just a few minutes to prepare. Slice up an onion and throw it into the cooker with all of your other ingredients. I use diced tomatoes with basil, oregano, and garlic added but plain diced tomatoes work well, too.
The balsamic vinegar adds some flavor but, once the chicken is cooked, it is not overwhelmingly vinegar-y tasting.
- 1 3/4 lbs boneless skinless chicken breast
- 1/3 tsp kosher salt
- 1/4 tsp freshly cracked black pepper
- 1/2 tsp dried basil
- 1/4 tsp dried oregano
- 1/4 tsp dried parsley
- 1/4 tsp garlic powder
- 1 onion, thinly sliced
- 1 14-oz can Basil, Oregano, Garlic diced tomatoes (or regular), drained
- 1/3 cup balsamic vinegar
- Place all ingredients in slow cooker and cook on low for 6 hours.
- Shred chicken and return to slow cooker. Taste and add additional salt, if desired.
- After shredding, leave on warm or low for 15 minutes to soak.