If I had to choose my last meal on Earth, it’d be a cheeseburger (with fries, obviously!) This burger is everything I have ever wanted in a burger. Crispy bacon glazed with brown sugar atop a juicy beef patty bathed in a creamy, rich, blue cheese caramelized onion sauce.
This brown sugar bacon came about after a wedding weekend last summer in New York. BC and I went with a group of friends to this little cheese shop in Greenport, Long Island called Bruce’s Cheese Emporium. They had this brown sugar bacon that we gorged ourselves on (in Bloody Mary’s, on BLTs, and just straight-up). I haven’t stopped thinking about it ever since and I thought it would help make the best burgers ever (I was right).
What would be on your dream burger? Tons of cheese? Mushrooms? Mayo (eww)?
- 1 red onion, sliced
- 2 tbsp butter
- 3 tbsp milk (I used 2%)
- 2 oz blue cheese, crumbled
- 8 slices bacon
- 3 tbsp brown sugar
- 4 burger patties
- Salt and pepper
- Arugula or other lettuce (optional)
- 4 burger buns (gluten-free, if desired)
- In a small saucepan,melt butter, add onions, and a small pinch of salt. Stir to coat in butter. Without disturbing the onions, sauté for 5 minutes uncovered. After 5 minutes, stir and cover. Lower heat to medium-low and sauté for 3 minutes and stir, repeat this until onions are fully caramelized, about 15-20 minutes.
- While onions are caramelizing, on a foil-lined baking pan, sprinkle brown sugar evenly over bacon. Place baking pan in a cold oven and set temperature to 400 degrees F. Remove bacon when it has reached desired crispness, about 17-19 minutes.
- After onions are caramelized, stir in milk and bring mixture to a gentle simmer. Let mixture simmer for 2-3 minutes, while stirring. Stir in blue cheese and simmer until thickened, as desired.
- Grill burger patties as desired.
- Assemble burgers with patties, sauce, bacon, and lettuce.