This title is a mouthful, I know…and can you believe I left out a few descriptors I wanted to add ?? The humble grilled zucchini did not make it into the title, neither did the ‘Greek’ in Greek yogurt, and that beautiful green baby spinach, I also left out ‘amazing’, ‘delicious’, ‘super easy’, and ‘healthy’! There’s so much I want to say about this salad, obviously. I guess I will say it all here. Hope you are still reading! 🙂
Happy belated Labor Day! What did you guys do for the long weekend? If you follow my Instagram, you probably noticed that I was in Portland, Oregon, visiting one of my besties with another one of my besties. It was the best! 😉 As you might remember from earlier posts, I love Portland! We ate a lot of potatoes (tots, home fries, hashbrowns, french fries…) and we might have had some ice cream. So, when I got home and went to the supermarket, I felt that a salad was in order.
If you have read this blog before, you know that I can’t get myself to eat a plain, boring salad. They have to be bursting with flavor. This one is certainly no exception. Lots of lemon, tangy yogurt, and slightly crunchy grilled zucchini complement the juicy grilled chicken here for one of my favorite salads yet. (I feel like I always say that…but it’s always true!)
Another thing about this salad is that it’s easy and quick (another theme in my life these days). It only took about 5 minutes to prep (before marinating for the day) and less than 10 minutes to grill.
The chicken marinates in Greek yogurt (I used whole milk plain Chobani), lemon juice, olive oil, lemon pepper seasoning, and garlic powder. Both the yogurt and lemon are tenderizers, so you would really have to overcook these to dry them out!
I love simple salad dressings, so this one includes more Greek yogurt, lemon juice, olive oil, a teeny bit of minced garlic, and some salt and pepper.
The Greek yogurt holds all of that yummy lemon pepper seasoning in as well as protects the chicken over high heat, so it will stay nice and juicy.
For the zucchini, I just brushed a bit of olive oil and sprinkled on some salt before putting onto the grill for only about 2-3 minutes per side. I like my zucchini to stay a bit more crisp.
I will definitely be using this yogurt dressing again. So simple and creamy.
Is there anything better than grilled chicken in the summertime?
- 1/3 cup plain Greek yogurt (I used whole milk Chobani)
- 1 tbsp lemon pepper seasoning
- 1/4 tsp garlic powder
- 3 tbsp lemon juice
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 2 lbs thin-sliced boneless skinless chicken breasts
- Salt, as desired
- 3 tbsp lemon juice
- 1/2 cup plain Greek yogurt (I used whole milk Chobani)
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- 1/2 clove garlic, minced
- 1/4 tsp kosher salt
- Freshly cracked black pepper, to taste
- 3 medium zucchini, halved
- Olive oil, for brushing
- Salt and pepper, as desired
- Spinach, or other salad
- Place chicken, yogurt, lemon pepper seasoning, garlic powder, lemon juice, and olive oil into a gallon-sized plastic storage bag. Shake to coat evenly. Marinate chicken in refrigerator for at least 4 hours.
- Remove chicken from marinade and sprinkle with salt, as desired.
- Brush zucchini halves lightly with olive oil and season with salt and pepper, as desired.
- Over grill heated to medium-high, grill chicken for 3-4 minutes each side, or until internal temperature reaches 165°F.
- Grill zucchini for 2-3 minutes per side.
- Assemble dressing by whisking together lemon juice, yogurt, olive oil, garlic, salt and pepper.
- Top spinach with chicken, zucchini, and dressing. Serve.
- If you can’t find thin-sliced chicken breasts, you can just pound out your chicken breast to desired thickness.