Easy, chewy gluten-free peanut butter chocolate cookies loaded with crunchy Chocolate Chex cereal and topped with a light dusting of powdered sugar. These cookies are a fun take on one of my favorite sweet snacks–muddy buddies (also called puppy chow).
Peanut butter and chocolate is one of BC’s (mine too!!) favorite sweet flavor combinations. He always reaches for the peanut butter cups when given the choice. BC likes to put them in the freezer. Does anybody else do that? I think it’s weird.
You can bet we have a giant bowl full of Reese’s ready for Halloween this weekend. Other than handing out candy, though, we don’t really have any plans. Gone are the days of putting on a costume and going to a crazy party in NYC. Please tell me you guys have something super fun planned so I can live vicariously through you?
Anyway, based of the fact that we are obsessed with Reese’s and with muddy buddies in this house, I was inspired to make them into a cookie.
Have you ever tried Reese’s Spread? It makes my life complete. It also makes some pretty fantastic and super chewy little cookies. Chocolate Chex cereal gives these that muddy buddy crunch, and a little bit of powdered sugar finishes these off.
Have you ever had Chocolate Chex? I couldn’t stop snacking on it! I couldn’t believe how crunchy the cereal stayed even after baking.
I wonder if these qualify as breakfast since there’s cereal sitting right on top of them!
Powdered sugar makes everything more fun!
Thin but chewy!
- 1 large egg
- 1/2 cup creamy peanut butter (128 g)
- 1/2 cup Reese’s spread (148 g)
- 1/3 cup brown sugar (64 g)
- 1/3 cup granulated sugar (64 g)
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp kosher salt
- 2/3 cup Chocolate Chex, plus additional for pressing into tops of cookies
- Powdered sugar, for sprinkling
- Preheat oven to 350°F and line baking sheet with parchment paper or silicone baking mat.
- In a medium bowl, mix together egg, peanut butter, Reese’s spread, sugars, and vanilla extract until well combined. Add in baking soda and salt, and mix until fully incorporated. Fold in Chex and mix into dough (the cereal will break into small pieces during mixing, which is what you want).
- Spoon rounded tablespoonfuls of the dough about 1 inch apart onto prepared baking sheet. Gently press additional Chex into tops of the dough balls.
- Bake for 10 minutes or until set. Remove from oven and let cool on baking sheet for 2 minutes.
- Place cookies on wire baking rack until completely cooled.
- Sprinkle lightly with powdered sugar.