Do you ever get a craving for something and then just need to take it absolutely OVERBOARD? That’s what I did with these cookies. I wanted chocolate cookies so, naturally, I decided to make chocolate cookies with chocolate pudding mix, dark cocoa powder, chocolate chips, and DARK chocolate M&Ms.
Have you had dark chocolate M&Ms before? They taste SO much more chocolatey than regular M&Ms, so I needed them in these cookies. I love the little bit of crunch the M&Ms give these cookies. They, along with Hershey’s Special Dark cocoa powder, (which is heavily dutch-processed) are what give these cookies their extra-chocolatey flavor.
These cookies start out with brown sugar and granulated sugar and butter (of course!)
I had to post this next picture because I want to talk about this little baby spatula. I’m pretty sure it was free with a bridal shower gift somebody bought me from Williams and Sonoma. This is hilarious because I use it almost every time I make cookies. It’s so much easier to wield for quick bowl scrape downs than my big spatulas.
Before adding in the dry ingredients, you should sift or whisk them. Honestly, I sometimes (or usually….) skip this step when making cookies because I am lazy and sometimes it doesn’t make a difference in the finished cookie. These cookies benefit from this step because the cocoa powder is so fine that it tends to clump easily.
Side note: when I am baking with cocoa powder, I almost always inhale some and cough. Ha! Does that happen to anyone else? Just me? Ok, then.
Once everything is all mixed together, you add in your chocolate chips and M&Ms, and then you eat some dough because it’s so tasty and you don’t care if you eat raw eggs (or, again, maybe that’s just me?)
Then you get your milk ready for when these cookies come out!
- 1 cup (2 sticks) unsalted butter, room temperature
- 2/3 cup brown sugar (128 g)
- 1/3 cup granulated sugar (64 g)
- 1 (3.9 oz.) box chocolate instant pudding mix
- 2 large eggs
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 1/4 cup all purpose flour (270 g)
- 1/4 cup Hershey’s Special Dark cocoa powder (20 g)
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 1/2 cup dark chocolate M&Ms, plus 1/4 cup more for pressing on top
- Preheat oven to 350°. Line baking sheet with silicone baking mat or parchment paper.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment (or in a regular bowl with a hand mixer), cream butter, brown sugar, and granulated sugar. Add in the pudding mix, eggs, and vanilla extract.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together flour, cocoa powder, baking soda, and salt.
- Slowly add the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients until just combined. Fold in the chocolate chips and M&Ms.
- Drop rounded tablespoonfuls of cookie dough onto baking sheet. Optional: lightly press additional M&Ms on top of cookie dough.
- Bake for 9-10 minutes.
- If you can’t find Hershey Special Dark cocoa powder, use another dutch process cocoa powder.