Ok, I missed Pi day last week but it’s not too late to make pie, right? This pie is a life-changer. The salty-sweet crunchy pretzel crust is the base of a chocolate pudding pie topped with homemade light and fluffy peanut butter whipped cream. The idea for this pie came to me in a dream (I know…ridiculous..) and I have a feeling I’ll be dreaming about it a lot more now that I’ve actually made and eaten it!
Since this pie was brought on by a dream, when I went to make it, I had no idea if a pretzel crust would even work. Spoiler..it did and it was amazing!! It is made just the same way cookie pie crusts (which I loveeeee) are made–by crushing up pretzels in a food processor, adding some butter and sugar, and a quick trip to the oven to help keep it all together.
When you crush up the pretzels, you can leave a lot of big pretzel chunks to retain a lot of that salty crunch. Did you know that Snyder’s makes gluten-free pretzels?? They taste like regular pretzels but are maybe even a little bit lighter and crunchier (yum!!)
When the pretzel crust is in the oven it smells JUST like the the sweet pretzels from pretzel shops at the mall!
Confession: I love homemade chocolate pudding, but I didn’t have enough egg yolks and I needed this pie NOW, so I just used an instant boxed pudding mix. It was still amazing.
The peanut butter whipped cream is super easy, just some heavy whipping cream, vanilla extract, some powdered sugar, and a couple of tablespoons of creamy peanut butter. The resulting whipped cream is light and fluffy with a subtle yet distinct peanut butter flavor.
If you don’t want waste time piping out whipped cream, you can just plop the whipped cream onto the whole pie and dig in!
- 2 cups chocolate pudding, prepared
- Chopped chocolate or chocolate shavings for topping, if desired
- For Crust
- 1 1/2 cup pretzels (gluten-free if desired), finely crushed
- 1/3 cup brown sugar (64 g)
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter, melted
- For Peanut Butter Whipped Cream
- 1 cup (8 oz) heavy whipping cream, very cold
- 2 tbsp (32 g) creamy peanut butter
- 3 tbsp (23 g) powdered sugar
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 350°F. In a medium bowl, stir together crushed pretzels, brown sugar, and butter and press into 8 1/2 inch pie plate, using a fork to flatten and press crust into the sides of the plate. Bake 9 minutes.
- To make whipped cream, place cream, peanut butter, powdered sugar, and vanilla extract into the bowl of a stand mixer (you can also use a hand mixer with whip attached). With a whip attachment, beat mixture just until soft peaks form. The peaks should be soft enough to droop if you hold up the beater, but shouldn’t stand up straight.
- Once crust has cooled for at least 10 minutes, pour pudding into crust and top with whipped cream and chopped chocolate, if desired.
- 1 ½ cups crushed pretzels was about 3 ½ cups mini pretzels, or about 4 oz. This can be made with either gluten-free pretzels or regular pretzels.