These crispy treats are a little bit of a twist on the traditional buttery marshmallow treats. Don’t worry, these still have plenty of butter and marshmallows, but they also have lots of chocolate! They aren’t too sweet and they stay soft and chewy for days.
I love rice crispy treats all year long, but there’s something about these sweet little treats that always makes me think about summer backyard barbecues, friends, and fun. I made these treats for the first time way back in March, when we happened to have a warm 85 degree weekend and some friends visiting from New York. It was like summer came early! We spent a whole day lounging around at the pool and getting some southern California sun.
Now that it’s actually summer, I’ve found myself craving these again!
These are also gluten-free if you get gluten-free rice cereal.
The cocoa powder, butter, and vanilla extract create a smooth chocolatey sauce that I wanted to pour over everything.
I love the way the marshmallows look when they start melting into the cocoa-butter mixture.
After you gently press the mixture into a pan, you sprinkle more chocolate on top in the form of mini chips. The still-warm cereal mixture helps the mini chips stick on top.
- 1/4 cup butter
- 1 10.5 oz bag marshmallows
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 3 tbsp cocoa powder (15 g)
- 5 cups crispy rice cereal (gluten-free, if desired)
- 2/3 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 3 tbsp mini chocolate chips (or additional semi-sweet chocolate chips), for topping
- Grease a 9x13 dish.
- In large saucepan or pot, melt butter on medium-low heat. Once melted, add vanilla extract and cocoa powder and stir to combine.
- Pour in marshmallows and stir until there are no longer big chunks of marshmallow.
- Remove from heat, pour in the cereal, and stir.
- Once the cereal is fully coated, gently fold in the chocolate chips.
- Gently press the cereal mixture into the pan until even. Don’t squash down the mixture too much or it can get tough and hard to eat later on. I like to use a rubber spatula sprayed with cooking spray for this to minimize sticking.
- Sprinkle the mini chocolate chips evenly on top. Allow mixture to cool. Cut and serve.