These banana cupcakes are moist, bursting with mini chocolate chips, and topped with chocolate buttercream frosting. Since they have banana in them you might even be able to convince yourself to eat one for breakfast (I won’t tell, I promise).
These cupcakes are ahhh-mazing but they did not come easily for me. I made at least 3 different batches of them and read more about the science (yes, science…me!!) of baking than I ever thought I would read. The first few batches were not exactly fails, but they were not what I wanted to make and I ended up tossing them in the trash in frustration. The dense mashed bananas work wonderfully for banana bread (which I LOVE), but that is not what I was envisioning for these cupcakes–which was light and fluffy!
I think the result of all of that testing turned out pretty well –lots of banana flavor in a tender, moist cake.
I love how the mini chocolate chips provide a nice burst of chocolate without being overwhelming.
This frosting is so addictive (and so much better than store-bought, which I actually happen to like) and so hard to resist eating with a spoon!
To me, these aren’t the pretty show-off-your-skillz cupcakes. They are totally the casual potluck picnic type of cupcakes. Hence the lack of decoration and messy frosting!
Whoops, I took the wrapper off of these cupcakes while they were still warm and they stuck a bit…I just couldn’t wait to eat one! If you are more patient than I am, though, this won’t happen to you.
- 1/2 cup (1 stick) unsalted butter, melted and cooled
- 2 medium ripe bananas, mashed
- 1 cup granulated sugar (192 g)
- 2 large eggs
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/4 cup buttermilk
- 1 2/3 cup all-purpose flour (200 g)
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp kosher salt
- 1/2 cup mini chocolate chips
- 1/2 cup (1 stick) unsalted butter, softened
- 1/2 cup cocoa powder (40 g)
- 1/4 tsp kosher salt
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 2-4 tbsp milk
- 3 cup powdered sugar (360 g)
- Preheat oven to 350° F and line a cupcake pan with liners.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine mashed bananas with melted butter. Add in sugar, eggs, vanilla, and buttermilk. Add in flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt. Mix until just combined. Gently incorporate mini chocolate chips.
- Spoon into cupcake pan and bake 20-22 minutes or until toothpick comes out clean. Remove from oven and cool in pan for about 10 minutes. Remove from pan and cool completely on wire baking rack.
- For the frosting, in a large mixing bowl, beat butter until smooth.
- Add in cocoa powder, vanilla, salt, milk and powdered sugar. Continue beating until mixture is fully combined and there are no remaining lumps of sugar.
- Frost cupcakes.
- You can make buttermilk by adding 1 tsp lemon juice to 1/4 cup whole milk and letting it sit for 10 minutes