Pie! Everybody loves pie, right? Pudding pies are some of my favorite to make (like this one). They can be whipped up quickly with a box of pudding mix, or you can take your time and make pudding from scratch. The crust here is what really stands out, though. The crust is essentially just the same coconut macaroon recipe used to make cookies. I love coming up with fun and delicious gluten-free pie crusts. This one is no exception!
I probably should have called this a tart, because I used a tart pan (I wanted to see the edges of this beautiful coconutty crust!) You can use either a tart pan or a pie pan, though. It will just be a very short pie 🙂
This crust is so simple, I wasn’t sure it was going to hold a pudding filling when I started making it. To start out, you just press the macaroon mixture up the sides of the tart or pie pan. If you have a pie pan, just push the mixture up as far as it will go, it won’t reach the top of the pan.
When it comes out of the oven, it’s beautifully browned around the edges and nice and firm on the bottom.
When you’re ready to fill the pie, you just add toffee bits to your vanilla pudding (I used a box mix of vanilla pudding here, but next time I will be making it from scratch for sure) and stir it up. Have you ever used these Bits O’ Brickle? The title makes me giggle when I say it out loud.
Then you smooth out the pudding into the crust and you’re done!
You can top with additional toffee bits if you want.
This pie is so yummy. I love how the crunchy toffee bits and toasty coconut complement each other.
And that’s it! Dig in!
Do you have a favorite gluten-free crust? Every time I think I’ve found my new favorite, I find a new one! I can’t wait to use this macaroon crust on more pies!
- 2 2/3 cup sweetened flaked coconut (7 oz package)
- 2 tbsp granulated sugar (24 g)
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 large egg whites
- 1/4 tsp kosher salt
- 1 tbsp cornstarch (8 g)
- 2 cups prepared vanilla pudding
- 1/4 cup +1 tbsp toffee bits
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- In medium mixing bowl, stir to combine sugar, vanilla extract, egg whites, kosher salt, and cornstarch. Press mixture into and up the sides of a greased 9-inch tart or pie pan.
- Bake crust for 19-21 minutes, or until top of crust is golden brown.
- Let crust cool on a wire baking rack for at least 30 minutes.
- Fold 1/4 cup of the toffee bits into the vanilla pudding and spread into cooled pie crust.
- Garnish with remaining 1 tbsp of toffee bits. Cut, and serve.