Are these baked potatoes? Are they potato skins? Who cares! These potatoes are a fun and easy twist on pizza night that everyone will love. I already had most of the ingredients for these in my kitchen and they turned out to be the perfect easy, cheesy, Friday night dinner.
Do you have any Friday night dinner traditions? Now that I’m an old married lady, Friday nights aren’t wild and crazy (I guess they were never either of those things, but sometimes they got close). After a long week, my husband and I usually like to eat in and cozy up on the couch to catch up on DVRed shows. Typically on Fridays, I cook something a little less healthy than what we typically eat during the week and sometimes we even split a SODA with dinner (I know, right? We are really living on the edge these days).
I love baked potatoes, but I also love the crispiness of potato skins so I decided to combine them for this recipe.
Once you bake the potatoes and scoop them out, you get to brush this yummy mixture of olive oil, garlic powder, salt, and pepper on them and crisp them up again in the oven.
The filling for these skins looks mashed potatoes and includes both cream cheese AND parmesan cheese!
Then you add some marinara sauce, mozzarella, and pizza toppings and bake them up once more!
- 4 large Russet potatoes
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly cracked black pepper
- 1/2 cup shredded Italian cheese blend or parmesan cheese
- 4 oz cream cheese, room temperature
- 1/2 tsp Italian seasoning
- 1/2 tsp kosher salt
- 1 1/2 cup marinara sauce
- 1 1/2 cup shredded mozzarella
- Pepperoni slices, sliced olives, or other pizza toppings
- Preheat oven to 375°F. Pierce potatoes a few times with a fork and wrap each potato in foil. Bake for an hour.
- Spoon out the centers of each half into a large bowl, leaving some of the potato in the skin to keep the structure. Mix and mash potato flesh with cream cheese, Italian seasoning, salt, and shredded cheese, making sure there are no big chunks of potato left.
- Increase the oven heat to 475°F. Spray a baking sheet lined with foil with cooking spray. Combine oil, salt, garlic powder, and pepper and brush over both sides of potato skins. Bake for 4 minutes; turn over and bake for 5 minutes more.
- Scoop potato mixture into skins (if you pat down the mixture so that it's a bit indented like a shallow bowl, the sauce will sit on top easily), spoon 3 tbsp of sauce and 3 tbsp mozzarella cheese on top, and layer pepperoni slices on top of cheese. Lower heat to 375 and bake potatoes 20 minutes. Top with additional parmesan cheese if desired. Serve.
- For the Italian seasoning, I used a mixture that contains marjoram, thyme, rosemary, savory, sage, oregano, and basil, but you can use any combo of these spices you like.